In a recent interview discussing illegal immigration, talk radio celebrity Laura Ingraham identified several points useful in confronting the problem:
- mass deportation (entire families must be returned to their country of origin);
- stop visas & foreign aid (if countries won’t repatriate their citizens and stop sending signals that illegally entering America is acceptable, then those countries should lose their foreign aid);
- end birthright citizenship (no more ‘anchor babies’);
- penalize employers who knowingly hire illegals (severe punishments for repeat offenders)
build the fence along the border where practical (especially in high volume corridors);
- end welfare to households that house illegals (food stamps, disability assistance, etc., and work with banks to make it difficult for illegals to enter into rental agreements);
- border enforcement (use the National Guard).
Furthermore, I’d add the following:
- halt federal aid to cities acting as ‘sanctuary cities’ for illegal aliens;
- end chain migration laws (designed to bring in non-nuclear family members).
Americans support legal immigration, not open borders. Build the fence!