Consider this quote in 2008 by then candidate Barack Obama: “We cannot continue to rely on our military. We’ve got to have a civilian national security force that’s just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded.” Six years later, such rhetoric is as much reality when 200 armed federal agents from the US Bureau of Land Management (BLM) over zealously stormed the Nevada ranch of Clive Bundy – instead of putting a lien on his property. This brazen exhibition of overt authoritarianism is cause for concern and every liberty-loving American citizen should take note.
Now, as President Obama is slowly decimating our military through inept policies and budget cuts, federal agencies including the BLM and others are becoming more heavily armed, essentially ‘private armies’. As such, recurring news accounts of bulk ammunition purchases by the U.S. government have become more commonplace. While the US Postal Service may be the latest federal agency seeking to acquire ammunition, it is not alone. Consider the following:
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) requested 46,000 rounds of hollow-point bullets.
- Department of Homeland Security (DHS) currently has a 1.6 billion round stockpile.
- Department of Agriculture requested 320,000 bullets.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) requested 100 million hollow-point bullets.
- Social Security Administration requested 174,000 rounds of hollow-point bullets.
Whether the reason for such purchases on behalf of the US government is intended as a mechanism to increase the price by reducing supply of ammunition available to private gun owners – a backdoor attempt to diminish our Second Amendment rights – or for some other more dubious purpose, time will tell.
“U.S. Postal Service Joins DHS, Social Security Admin, NOAA In Ammo Purchases” (by AWR Hawkins)
“Beware The Increasing Militarization of Government” (by Investor’s Business Daily Editorial)